Paul Mason – MD of Nordell Plastics
Paul is MD of Nordell Plastics , one of the UK’s leading and independent Plastics manufacturing and design refinement companies based in Littlehampton.
We first met Paul through the Escalator programme in 2019 and we were delighted when he went on to join the MDHUB.
We know that Paul loves structure more than most, management models and frankly anything that will make it better for his team and the business – so when the pandemic was added into the mix we were really interested to see how Paul in particular would approach it.
Well, rather well as it happens…
Paul’s brilliant engineering mind is perfect for problem solving and never has that fine mind been more challenged but also stimulated in the past 15 months.
Building upon Nordells core values of Pride, effort, strength, respect, support and trust, Paul and his team have had ( and continues to have ) significant achievements during the pandemic :
- Being classed as an essential business manufacturing critical parts they remained open throughout – even though there was an immediate effect on reduced orders
- Thinking quickly they capitalised on an opportunity to manufacture medical consumables that required Cleanroom manufacturing, requiring revised business planning and raising significant capital. This was not enough to fulfil demand so another one had to be built and production had to be extended to 24/7 working.
- They Introduced Workvivo – a brilliant 2 way communications platform to ensure cross site communications were their very best during this period of significant growth.
- They increased their staff from 80 – 194
- An MBO was completed which Paul has been working on since 2013 and Paul is now the sole owner
- 60% predicted growth – as Paul says “a fantastic problem to have“ and has got him typically thinking in his very understated way about “ how to scale up well”